Friday 18 January 2013

Life Goes On


I’m writing this in the context of being self employed.

I've debated for a few months now whether to write about this or not. I feel uncomfortable when strangers talk over social networking about overly personal topics. I may just be slow at adjusting to new ways of communication (within my business dealings that is, I’m fine with people I know!) I mean I still stress about how formal an email should be and what’s ‘professional’. However I’ve reached the point where I’ve found myself stalling my little business until I can talk about the last year.

My Mum died at the end of May after having been ill with cancer. Since heading back up North to care of her I sort of retreated into my work without actually producing anything. And such a lot of time has passed now it feels odd to properly start up again without marking the change.

I guess also because my Mum was a huge inspiration for me. She was the one who taught me how to sew and draw and had an amazing collection of textiles. She was born in Lima, Peru, where my Grandma and Grandad were living at the time, so the house was full of vibrant colours and beautiful South American patterns. She also called herself the Fantoosherie ambassador and I would always run new designs past her.

Just writing this is helping me realise that this has actually happened.

So I have to move on. I’m lucky to have a new studio at Glasgow’s Trongate which I share with the amazing textile designer Aimee Kent. We have a colourful collaboration almost finished. In the first public venturing in months, Teacosy in Aberdeen, I pretty much sold out of my new collection which gave me such a boost. But, I eventually want to get to the place of my Mum’s birth and see Peru with my own eyes, so the plan for the rest of this year is to take Fantoosherie on the road. First to Spain to learn the language, then South America. I will take my tools with me to produce a small accessory collection and experiment with some natural dying too. I’ll also be working on farms and smallholdings throughout the day in exchange for food and lodging!

That was hard but I definitely feel much better after writing this. My work is also my life so it feels good to get things going again.

Thanks for reading,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment